A commenter on my recent review of The Family Worship Book asked about further resources for assisting fathers in leading their families in worship, so I thought I’d compile a bit of a list here.
Rather than re-invent the wheel, let me point you first to a couple other lists that are extensive and helpful:
- SojournKids “Resources for Teaching Young Children to Love God” (see especially their Family Worship Guide at the top of the list)
- Ministry-to-Children.com’s “Practical Ideas for Family Worship”
- Children Desiring God
From these lists, let me highlight a few resources with which I’m personally familiar, which I highly recommend!
- Our Home Is Like a Little Church — This is a fun little children’s book that will help teach your kids why it’s important to worship at home. (My review)
- The Jesus Storybook Bible — I love this children’s Bible (my review), though it’s more suited to kids starting school than for toddlers… check out The Big Picture Story Bible for that, though I’ve only leafed through it in the bookstore and can’t comment further.
- Big Truths for Young Hearts— Not only is this an excellent resource for older kids, but also for adults who don’t know where to start when it comes to teaching theology (my review). I’m actually in the process of completing a chapter-by-chapter study guide for this book, which will be posted on the blog once it’s finished.
- The Big Book of Questions and Answers— A book of devotions written specifically for family worship by Sinclair Ferguson. My review is coming soon! This book also has a sequel with even more devotions, but I don’t have that one.
- Seeds Family Worship— Primarily music resources for family worship.
- The Praise Factory— Curriculum and resources for preschool children, put together by Mark Dever’s wife Connie. Though designed for classroom use, there is also a lot to benefit families here.
- Songs That Jesus Said— You know anything put out by Keith & Kristyn Getty is going to be good, and that goes for their album of children’s songs, too! From their website you can purchase the CD, songbook, and accompaniment trax. Here’s a video they posted recently with one of the songs from this collection:
I hope this list is helpful, and will help other families to begin a regular time of worship at home. Feel free to add your suggestions in the comments!