Why did God give us the book of Revelation?
Dr. Dennis Johnson, professor of practical theology at Westminster Seminary California, answers this question this way:
“God gave us the Apocalypse shown to John in order to bless us — to do us good, to convey His grace, to fortify our hearts.”
He then lists seven ways the book of Revelation should be applied:
- Revelation helps Christians see our situation in its true perspective.
- Revelation shows our enemies in their true colors.
- Revelation reveals our Champion in his true glory.
- Revelation enables us to see ourselves in our true beauty.
- Revelation summons us to endure as we suffer.
- Revelation calls us to stay pure when compromise invites.
- Revelation encourages us to bear witness as God waits.
This is a wonderful list of applications, and I encourage you to check out Johnson’s work in fleshing them out in his commentary on Revelation, Triumph of the Lamb. He provides a summary of these points in the January 2012 edition of Tabletalk magazine.